- 4 lbs. short ribs of beef
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 tbsp. bacon drippings or olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 cup of mild BBQ sauce
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 8-12 pearl onions, peeled
- 8-12 baby carrots, chopped
1. Use a cast iron or other heavy wide skillet or pan that is also oven-proof.
2. Remove any membranes (or silverskin) from short ribs.
3. Combine flour, salt, and pepper and rub into the ribs.
4. Brown ribs in bacon fat or olive oil in a large skillet, turning them as they brown. Add chopped onions, garlic and parsley.
5. When browned, pour off all but a small portion of the drippings remaining in pan. Add remaining ingredients except the pearl onions and carrots.
6. Bring the sauce to a boil, then cover the pan and transfer to a preheated 325°F oven and bake for 90 minutes. Add onions and carrots, reduce heat to 250°F.
7. Maintain a temperature of 250-300°F until tender, basting occasionally with beef broth as needed.